GUIDE #1 - DIFFERENT TYPES OF MAGIC
In this type of magic, the elements of Fire, Air, Water, and Earth give added power and energy to your spells. You may favor one of the elements over the rest but you should be able to use all of them.
- Fire symbolizes and controls the force of kinetic energy, and may be invoked for protection, purification, or defense.
- Water symbolizes and controls cleansing and slow change, and may be invoked for healing.
- Air symbolizes and controls the forces of the mind and communication, and may be invoked to create ideas.
- Earth symbolizes solidness and manifestation and may be invoked for financial gain and physical security.
Thought to be one of the simplest forms of magic, and can be used in conjunction with other types of magic. Color can be used to change or heighten moods and emotions. It can be used by itself or in the dressing of an altar.
- Silver represents purity and chastity.
- Purple represents fame and wisdom.
- Sky blue represents communication.
- Green represents love, fertility and beauty.
- Gold represents vitality and strength.
- Orange represents healing.
- Red represents passion and sexuality.
- Pink represents friendship and love.
- Brown represents hearth and home.
- Black represents banishing negativity.
Herbal magic is often used with other magics and relies on talismans and amulets. Herbs can be used as protection, and each herb has a specific use. They are usually used along with other herbs or oils in order to produce the right type of result.
- Aloe’s properties are protection, success and peace.
- Amaranth can be used in love spells or rituals, and can be used to mend a broken heart.
- Angelica is useful in protection and exorcism.
- Anise can be used in protection and purification spells.
- Apple is used in the making of magic wands and in love spells.
- Bay laurel promotes wisdom and can be used for protection.
- Catnip is connected to cat magic and familiars.
- Cinnamon can be used in spiritual quests or for healing.
- Clover is used in rituals involving beauty and youth.
- Dandelion is useful for divination and communication.
- Eucalyptus is used in charms and amulets and can increase healing energies.
- Fennel brings prosperity and is said to ward off evil spirits.
- Fern can ward off negativity.
- Garlic protects and is a healer.
- Ginseng encourages power and success.
- Hazel promotes good luck.
- Holly will heighten masculinity and virility; it can enable a man to attract a lover.
- Juniper can also be used to attract lovers.
- Lilac banishes evil and can be used for exorcism rituals.
- Mandrake can be used to increase sex drive.
- Marjoram is helpful for those who are grieving.
- Nutmeg aids prosperity.
- Orange can be used as a love charm.
- Pepper protects against the evil eye.
- Pine aids in focus and will cleanse the atmosphere when burnt.
- Rose will quickly change your luck to good.
- Sunflower will allow you to discover the truth if you sleep with it under your bed.
- Valerian protects against lightning.
- Witch hazel promotes chastity and the healing of a broken heart.
- Yucca is used to purify the body before one performs magic.
Candle magic is one of the oldest forms of magic and is very simple. The candle symbolizes you and the belief that you have access to a power that is greater than you. Candle magic is often used as a back up to other forms of magic. Candle colors can be important.
- White symbolizes The Goddess.
- Black symbolizes binding.
- Brown symbolizes special favors.
- Purple symbolizes the third eye.
- Blue symbolizes the element of water.
- Orange symbolizes success.
- Pink symbolizes affection.
- Green symbolizes the element of earth.
- Red symbolizes the element of fire.
- Silver represents astral energy.
- Copper represents professional growth.
- Gold represents male power.
- Yellow symbolizes the element of air.
Stones and gems each have their own meanings and symbols that can be used in magic. Crystals are primarily used in healing magic. They can also be used to enhance spells. Ordinary stones also have powers and can be used to contain energy and power.
- Amethyst represents shifts in consciousness and life changes.
- Diamond represents permanence.
- Emerald represents fertility.
- Jade represents immortality and perfection.
- Lapis lazuli represents divine favor.
- Ruby represents passion and power.
- Sapphire represents chastity and truth.
- Unakite represents integration and composure.
Knot magic has a lot to do with binding spells. It utilizes ribbon, rope, string, yarn, or anything that can be knotted or plaited to signify aspiration. It is a type of representational magic and can be used with other forms of magic. Color and form and use of energies are all used in the practice of knot magic.
Representational magic involves the use of an object representing something or someone. If you’re casting a love spell, you may use a representation of the one you want to fall in love with you. Representational magic helps in concentrating the energy onto whatever you want it. It is best not to use representational magic for negative purposes.
TALISMANS, AMULETS AND CHARMS
Although they use many types of magic, talismans, amulets and charms are usually representational or symbolic magic. They may be worn or carried for protection or good luck. They are often jewelry or herb pouches.
(Information paraphrased from the Ultimate Book of Spells by Pamela Ball and Occult 100.)